Uniform question - Attn Ron Gatewood

If it's San Soo related, but you don't know where to put it...

Moderator: San Soo Sifu

Uniform question - Attn Ron Gatewood

Postby bigpappa » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:39 pm

I think I have brought this up before, but I wanted to get some clarification on how things were back in the day at the El Monte school when Jimmy was running things. I think Ron is uniquely qualified to answer my questions: First, I remember that some black belts (my instructor included) used to wear the San Soo T-shirts instead of a uniform top from time to time (the same as the ones you currently have for sale on your website). I noticed that the ones they wore were red - I was told back then that color was reserved for black belts and above, and the other colors for the colored belt ranks. The person who told me this was a 2nd degree, and I saw two people I knew to be a 4th degree and regular black belt also wearing them. I only went to Jimmy's a couple of times, and watched class, but didn't pay a lot attention to those details at the time.

Do you know if this was a true requirement, and if so, what the stipulations were? I recently heard that the red/black color was reserved for Masters only, but I remember seeing non-master black belts wearing them regularly.

Second question: What requirements did Jimmy have for uniform colors by rank? I know the colored belts were supposed to wear white, and a lot of guys wore a variety of black, white, and mix/matched colors. Back in the mid 1980's when I first started training, I was told that for brown belt and below, it was white only. Black belt and above could wear black, or mix/match of black and white. I didn't know anything about any other colors at that time regarding red, blue, etc.

Can you elaborate on that for me? I've heard more recently that all black uniforms should be reserved for Master ranks only, and black belts can only wear all white, or a white top with black pants.
bigpappa

Re: Uniform question - Attn Ron Gatewood

Postby bigpappa » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:01 pm

Well, this is addressed to Ron, but if anyone else has applicable knowledge or insight, please feel free to respond
bigpappa

Postby Ron G » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:54 am

People have made up many things, I read the other day of guys (I think in Florida) discussing that they could hardly wait until they were Master so they could have a read Tattoo of KFSS on there arm, funny I don't remember any tattoos on Jimmy.
Simple rules, white until you were blackbelt, after you could wear a black Gi, he did not like the mixed white/black colors but some guys did it anyway. I had his t-shirts made, in fact he sold them for me and would not take a percentage. We may have have had a batch of red one time but they had no meaning, usually blue was sold, the first were white but we varied once in awhile.
We never knew about red until he began promoting Masters, the only thing I remember was "only Master have red characters or letters in red on their belt". Since Kung Fu did not have belts, in China you would have worn a red sash. Everyone wore gi's unless he forgot it and he may have wore what he came in with. Remember when I started we all worked out in loose clothes or sweatshirts for the first few years, gii's probably in the mid 60's. He bought them from a company called Fashion Fad or Fab for $8 and sold them to the San Soo studios for $12 which was income for him. Many guys bought them somewhere else, bought a few from him so he wouldn't know but he did. Some built up a large tab, they closed and never paid him, what a bunch, then some bought everyone from him.
Ron G

Postby bigpappa » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:23 pm

Thanks Ron. That's pretty much what I suspected, but it is hard to tell from simply watching video clips. I've noticed a lot of black belts in videos from the 70's and 80's wearing mix-matched uniforms with white and black, but I wasn't sure if this was a requirement, guideline, or a fashion trend. I see now that it was the latter. I personally like the black top/white pants combo, but that's just me.

Regarding the red T-shirts, I suppose that was just a rule some black belts made up to create some exclusivity for themselves. Any studio owner can dictate whatever they want regarding the uniform guidelines - that is their right. When they apply the fallacy of appealing to authority, though, by saying "Jimmy said," or "Jimmy always..." without direct firsthand knowledge or they have a history of embellishing to suit their own needs when questioned, I sort of have a problem with that
bigpappa

Postby Ron G » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:06 pm

In China it is quite common for them to wear school t-shirts when working at the school but they don't grab and throw as much as we do. That is why we didn't go to the silky type Kung Fu uniforms as they would have ripped. Jimmy did have a batch of special Chinese ones that were black with the frog type buttons for Chinatown demo's, I still have it somewhere.
Ron G

Postby bigpappa » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:11 pm

Although I'm pretty impressed with the T-shirt I had made, I do like your original one, Ron. I may just have to buy one....
bigpappa

Return to Miscellaneous