San Soo banned in England!!!

If it's San Soo related, but you don't know where to put it...

Moderator: San Soo Sifu

San Soo banned in England!!!

Postby Captain America » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:42 pm

From Mail Online May 10, 2012... This online article from England can be accessed here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... a-May.html

Steve Doughty wrote:You are going have to spell out how self-defence instruction would incite vigilante violence Mrs May...

Written By: Steve Doughty

PUBLISHED: 09:02 EST, 10 May 2012 | UPDATED: 04:47 EST, 11 May 2012

Tim Larkin is a very dangerous man, or so he tells us.

He is a martial arts instructor who claims to have adapted tactics from the Navy Seals, a military unit that has long been extremely popular with Hollywood producers. Mr Larkin advises that you must inflict crippling pain on an attacker and learn to kill.

His website offers for sale DVDs about how to break ribs, rupture kidneys, and splinter wrists.
Banned: Tim Larkin is not welcome in Britain because of his self-defence teachings.
This all sounds well hard, so when Mr Larkin proposed a sales tour of Britain, taking in some of last summer’s best-known riot venues, Home Secretary Theresa May became alarmed. The 47-year-old, described as a former military intelligence officer and expert in hand-to-hand combat, was told as he prepared to board a plane that he was banned from the country.

It might tell us something that Mr Larkin’s flight to London was departing from Las Vegas, not, as far as I am aware, a city with strong links to the military nor one with any great naval tradition.

Mr Larkin appears to be an unsavoury successor to Charles Atlas, the body-building guru of a million 20th century comics, who promised to teach us weaklings how to avoid having sand kicked in our face, get the girls, and so on. The main difference is that Mr Larkin glories in descriptions of extreme violence.

His core message, that you can generate great force with the right fighting technique, is an insight he shares with the average eight-year-old in the karate class at your local council leisure centre, all Olympic martial arts competitors, and n million kung fu movie fans, where n tends to infinity.

So why did Mrs May ban him from the country? He’s just an old fashioned showman and snake-oil salesman, and so what if he glories in violent talk? The last time I looked there was no law against bad taste. If there were, a few prime time TV shows would be off the air.

The idea that he is going to persuade Tottenham’s finest neets, gangstas and drug dealers to abandon their knives and guns in favour of removing people’s kidneys with their bare hands is a little far-fetched.

Last time I noticed Abu Qatada was still in the country, and, from what we have heard in recent days, the possibility that one or two of his old pals might still harbour the ambition of blowing up the odd airliner is not so far-fetched.

We let in Sheikh Yusuf al-Qaradawi to join Ken Livingstone as the then London mayor’s guest at City Hall in 2004. Al-Qaradawi is is accused of advocating the suicide bombing of Israeli civilians, the execution of male homosexuals, and the ‘light’ beating of disobedient wives. We let in Bounty Killer, a Jamaican singer who glorifies gang violence and incites murder against gays.

We let in Sun Myung Moon, aged leader of a loathsome cult, who still dreams of rebuilding his organisation to the strength it enjoyed in Britain before it made the mistake of bringing a libel case against the Daily Mail, which called it ‘the church that breaks up families’. Moon lost, and his cult has never recovered in this country.
Help: Tim Larkin said he could inspire children and adults in areas of Britain hit by rioting last summer.
There can only be one reason for the ban on Larkin, and it’s the pompous and self-serving conceit held by our criminal justice authorities that no-one may take the law into their own hands.

Their prevailing doctrine holds that no-one may fight back against an attacker. You must wait for the forces of law and order to come and do it properly. Rather than defend yourself, surrender your goods.

You have in any case provoked your assailant by advertising your wealth.
You can’t expect to drive around in a nice car without expecting someone to steal the briefcase off the back seat. Thieves only steal because you are flaunting your property in front of them.

Someone who is a victim of poverty and disadvantage has every reason to put it right with a little freelance redistribution. Your iPhone is a naked display of inequality certain to provoke someone who hasn’t got one, because the last one they stole has been sold to buy drugs.

So just lie down and let your assailant rummage through your backpack.
A Community Support Officer will be along in half an hour or so to offer you a counselling service.
Tim Larkin demonstrating some of his 'kill or be killed' philosophy'
This is no more than a mild exaggeration of the official thinking that really goes on, and its purpose is to reinforce the power of police chiefs, the Crown Prosecution Service, probation officers, the whole circus of the law courts, and all the rest of the hangers on. The worst crime is to defy the criminal justice establishment, and defending yourself comes into that category.

This ideology is far more dangerous to the everyday safety of civilised people than a thousand Tim Larkins.

In their rush to reinforce the dignity of the police, Mrs May and her officials have blundered into the usual mistake of authorities who act on their repressive instincts without thinking. Does nobody in the Home Office remember how it was that Serge Gainsbourg and the Sex Pistols got to the top of the pop charts?

If you want to make something popular, ban it. Mr Larkin’s website is currently warning of delays in shipping DVDs to Britain because of a sudden boom in demand for his products. Mrs May’s ban has given Larkin an audience he could never in a million years have reached on his own.

Tim Larkin used to be associated with Jerry Peterson and SCARS. They split up and Larkin started his own organization. But both are based in Jimmy H. Woo's Kung-Fu San Soo.
Captain America
Site Admin

Re: San Soo banned in England!!!

Postby Captain America » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:53 pm

Tony Manifold wrote:

Tony Manifold wrote:Oh SCARS, that takes me back. As I have mentioned a number of times, I am a career serviceman. Military Hand to hand is both a job skill and a hobby of mine. I have researched military hand to hand going back to the 1800s. I also used to do video reviews for a self defense publication. Here is my opinion on SCARS.

Background.
Jerry Peterson is not and has never claimed to be a Seal. He was in the army during the vietnam war. Tim Larkin (who now markets a seperate version of SCARS as TFT or target focused training) was a not a SEAL (he blew and eardrum during BUD/S IIRC) but was a member of Naval Special Warfare. It was through him that Peterson was able to get SCARS as H2H component of BUD/S in the early 90's. In this regard it was, as advertised, the official form of h2h for the SEALS but my understanding was that it was strictly used during BUD/S (which stands dor Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL and is essentially basic seal training).

SCARS
SCARS stands for Scientific Combat Aggressive Reactionary System. It has also been marketed as SAFTA (Scientific Aggressive Fighting Reactionary Technology of America) by Lew Hicks as well the aformentioned TFT by Tim Larkin. All these systems "originated" with Jerry Peterson. Peterson was a blackbelt in San Soo kunfu under Jimmy Woo and SCARS reflects that a great deal. The main benefit of SCARS in my view lay in its use of Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) in order to help create the right mindset for H2H combat. NLP is system of psycology (kind of) that looks at the meaning behind the way we speak and uses that to bring about changes in mindset. It was developed by Richard Bandler and John Grinder. It is the basis for Anthony Robbins work among others.

The basic premises of SCARS are as follows:
Aggressive terminolgy leads to an aggressive mindset. For example, Strike an incoming arm rather than block a punch
Autokinetic reaction which is a concept that says when you hit some one in a certain place they react in a certain way which leads to;
Chaining which means that if you know how a person will react you don't have to wait for it before you begin your next attack hence speeding your attack frequency up.

The first part I like, alot. Lack of aggression is one of the single biggest reason people lose fights. In the army we have a saying, "Max speed and aggression" and works for damn near everything
The second part is true to a point. If I kick you in the balls, I can judge pretty clearly what you reaction will be within a certain range depending on a number of factors. Your hands will drop to the groin, you will bend forward at the waist puching your hips back and you will lift your chin a bit. How exaggerated this is depends of how hard I hit you, how flush, your individual tolerance of pain or maybe like me your balls are made of solid brass.
Chaining is where it all falls apart. How you react and I react will differ to some degree, on each individual blow the reaction will differ to some degree. There is just no certainty that you will get the same, exact reaction each time. Relying on that is kind of stupid.

The two things I liked about the SCARS system was its focus on aggressiveness, regaining the initiative through that agressiveness and it focus on they way the body works. Why a technique is effective on the human body is just as important as the technique IMO because it allows your to improvise your own techniques in the heat of the moment as well as see the commonalities between techniques, ie. americana, is shiho nage, is muso dori, etc. The lock works the same way regardless of wether it is on the ground like an americana, a throw like shiho nage or a standing lock like muso dori.

Bottomline for Military H2H circa late 80s early 90's it was pretty good. Most or the time you were perfroming rising blocks and reverse punches and this was better. Now a days it is pretty old school and not even close to alive training. As for SEAL training, it is no where near universal. I know Daune Deiter is involved but I also know he isn't the only one.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/scars ... ndex2.html
Captain America
Site Admin

Target Focus Training - Master Target List

Postby San Soo Sifu » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:07 pm

San Soo Sifu wrote:Tim Larkin's Target Focus Training (TFT) was stolen from Special Combat Aggressive Reactionary Systems (SCARS). Jerry Peterson's SCARS was ripped off from Kung-Fu San Soo. Jerry L. Peterson received his Master's ranking in Kung-Fu San Soo from Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo.
Hit First...Hit Hard...Hit Often...and Finish Him Off!
San Soo Sifu

Postby RonG » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:58 am

Today I received civil papers from Scars regarding this post, I decided that it would be more prudent to take it down rather than waste the rest of my life fighting a law suit. I want to spend the rest my days sharing the Art as I was taught than messing with these people, that is more important.
Thank you,
Ron Gatewood
RonG

Postby Captain America » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:14 am

From the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18002220

US self-defence expert banned from entering UK
Tim Larkin Tim Larkin claims his criticism of UK self-defence laws has led to him being barred.

An American expert in violent self-defence has been excluded from entering the UK by the Home Office.

Tim Larkin tried to board a plane from his home in Las Vegas on Tuesday, but was given a UK Border Agency letter saying "his presence here was not conducive to the public good".

Mr Larkin, who was due to host seminars, told the BBC the move was a "gross over-reaction".

The Home Office said he was subject to an exclusion order.

A spokeswoman said: "The home secretary will seek to exclude an individual if she considers that his or her presence in the UK is not conducive to the public good."

Mr Larkin - who trained as a US Navy Seal - runs a company teaching combat to military and law enforcement clients in the United States.

He teaches self-defence techniques, which according to his own website, are designed to inflict "crippling pain" to an attacker, and claims violence is "your ultimate survival tool".

Mr Larkin had been invited to be a keynote speaker at The Martial Arts Show conference in Birmingham on 12 and 13 May, and to hold a seminar in Tottenham.

Both areas were targeted by rioters last August.

Mr Larkin told BBC Radio 4 he believed he was being excluded for criticising Britain's self-defence laws.

"I am not advocating that the UK should be like the US. What I am advocating is that the UK should go back to laws it had, prior to 1920."

But Mr Larkin insisted there was "nothing outrageous" about his views, and his intention in visiting the UK, was not to incite "violence".

"This is not being a vigilante. You are sitting in your house and you're being attacked, or you're attacked out in the street... There's an awful lot of martial arts and self defence being taught there right now that gives no instruction on [how to hurt] the human body.

He continued: "There are those rare, rare black swan occasions - like the riots - where law-abiding citizens are put in situations where they are facing grievous bodily harm and they hesitate because they are afraid of being prosecuted. That is a very real thing."

Mr Larkin claims he has a lot of support in the UK, and he says he may appeal to MPs.

A visit in 2009 to Slough, in Berkshire, where Mr Larkin held a class intended to teach how to "maim and kill in self-defence", provoked widespread condemnation from the community.

He has previously told the BBC that his training leads clients to become less violent.

"The more you know about lethal applications to the body, the less violent you are. You don't go out seeking it, and you certainly wouldn't misuse the tool."

If interested in more related articles, just google "tim larkin banned from uk" and several articles will pop up.
Captain America
Site Admin

Return to Miscellaneous