Robert Resann / David Teague

If it's San Soo related, but you don't know where to put it...

Moderator: San Soo Sifu

Robert Resann / David Teague

Postby unstpabl1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:37 am

I have known Master David Teague for a long time. We worked together on a TV show on and off for 4 years and have had many spirited discussions on martial arts and in particularly San Soo. David received his Masters from Robert in the last year. I've talked to Robert online occasionally for a few years, but even though I had been invited, had never had the opportunity to train with either one

On a total fluke I discovered that Dave was teaching in Chinatown so I called him out of the blue to ask if I could check out his class. Then I left a message for Robert and he said he would drop by before going to work to train. So we all got together on Saturday

It's hard to comment on one class with a group of very new students and me who really doesn't train much in KFSS, but the one thing you can't help but walk away with is how passionate they are about San Soo. In teaching a form Dave showed how the movement was used in application. I don't remember that happening with much detail in the other form work I had done. Yeah maybe a comment on the target, but this was a little more and in particular because it was a 2 hand strike which is a harder concept for me because I pretty much workout in kickboxing gyms

I worked mostly with Robert and a guy in his first class so I got to watch him teach. It was interesting, and he showed how much sense even an old Woolsey tech made with a weapon as well as empty hand. The weapon discovery I made a long time ago on my own..so it is always cool to me when someone else has shown me that. One other thing I felt was that he showed how the movements came from the forms and where mistakes with how i was delivering a San Soo hook and how the movement was hidden. Not sure if that describes it correctly, but it definitely was a different angle and was harder to identify the movement. Also the concept of the hand positioning mirroring the forms

I think that's one of the main things I walked away from is this... that for whatever reason, I hadn't really felt that before in my past experiences though it certainly could've been more my failure to notice than anything else

Though we didn't freestyle, I worked with David a bit on exploring defenses on grabs..another thing I don't remember specifically doing much before..and he did not just let go because you touched him first.

I don't think one class is enough to really judge anything by, but I feel the need to post this because there is a lot of stuff posted about Robert, and I've been around the KFSS community long enough to know why.

I'm soooo glad I went to train with them as I got to see how passionate they are, how much out of his way Robert is willing to go to show his interpretation of the system, and the focus on reality was present. I don't think there was enough time to go over specific issues and Robert invited me to train again to get into that a bit more, which I plan on doing.

So thanks guys for letting me train with you on Saturday. I got a lot out of it, and I would definitely train with you again.
unstpabl1

Return to Miscellaneous