Thanks Guys

If it's San Soo related, but you don't know where to put it...

Moderator: San Soo Sifu

Thanks Guys

Postby unstpabl1 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:51 pm

I wanted to thank you guys for helping to answer my questions and for listening to my observations about things. hopefully some benefit was found.

Though I have no intention of leaving any of the forums, with the exception of the new Tennessee forum, which I just asked to be unsubscribed from. I do plan to go more into a lurk mode on all. My reason is that I was really considering kfss but after the last few months on the forums I realize that my mentality isn't going to jive with the community at large. Everybody seems to have this thin skin that I haven't expirienced in other systems. Oh the bickering and such is in all, but there is something different in the san soo community that I honestly can't articulate. In the end it just feels wrong for me at this time, so I'm looking in other directions :wink:

Because of that I probably won't be participating in the KFSS forums much as I pursue the other avenues. I'm sure it may take a couple posts to clear some things, but for the most part I'm moving on for now. Of course I always reserve the rigt to post where I want, when I want :lol:

Anyway, I wish you luck with this forum.

mike
unstpabl1

Postby chance » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:19 pm

Mr. Woo is the founder of San Soo in America. He's only been gone a relatively short time and I think many San Soo Instructors are vying for the position of finial authority and title to being most historically accurate in the lineage. Others just want the most effective martial art they can find, so they work to improve and incorporate everything they can to a San Soo base that they believe in. I'm grateful that Mr. Woo Shared his knowledge and that so many have been working to keep that knowledge to pass on. I also appreciate those who put no limits on San Soo.
Mike, don?t let the forums discourage you. I would not be a believer in the effectiveness of San Soo by just looking at it from the outside. It was pure chance that brought me to Robert and Sean but now I'm a believer. Find an instructor or watch the videos and get a workout partner. San Soo has much to offer that really has to be felt to be believed. Of course if you miss some of the fine points it won?t feel effective. Post and maybe someone could explain what is missing. :wink:
chance

Postby San Soo Sifu » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:36 pm

Hey Mike,
Best of luck to you, whatever you choose to do. I sincerely hope that you find what it is that you're looking for. Again, good luck!
Hit First...Hit Hard...Hit Often...and Finish Him Off!
San Soo Sifu

Postby unstpabl1 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:52 pm

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. There is a lot of great stuff in san soo and people. I know quite a few. i know its not right for me now especially after what occured today on the Tennessee board as well as the last few months.

I posted a thread the other day on Hanging Punches. I was pretty regular on Chucks old Michigan board and like his guys alot. Any way this guy posted his opinion then deleted it so that someone more knowledgable would post. I liked what he posted

so I post why would he do that? what does he get playing small? And that we learn the most by explaining our points of view. well he posted back how insulted he was. I'm like WTF. Turns out he's the administrator.

I posted back that I wasn't insulting him but was encouraging him to express himself. Heck, he's an instructor. His opinion is as valid as anyone elses. I told him to feel free to unsubscribe me. So guess what he does...Yep he deletes those posts. So I'm about to delete my posts.

Its really a shame as I really respect Chuck and a lot of those guys. I loved the idea that he incorporated boxing class in his school. And Jeff and Ron Billow really helped in the past.

Thats what I mean about that there is a mentality I don't get in san Soo. On the other board tech questions were getting totally ignored. I bring it up and I'm disparaging kfss. Thats not what the board is for. Maybe they were answered in Emails. I don't get why you would hide your advice unless you were afraid to express it for some reason. Share it with the class everyone wins.

I stuck up for Jon. I can't remember seeing san soo people on other forums discussing KFSS. So I respect Jon for promoting the art. Usnken was another and their was a kid got his ass smacked on a board that was a Dave Hopkins student. Other than that its kinda rare or non existent. I don't get it.. Because I said that I never see masters on other forums, yep you got it I'm being disrespectful. If your passionate about something you share it.

So I guess i found out the system isn't for me and its time to look elsewhere. I appreciate the good wishes. I'll stilllurk and post from time to time and as I said it'll maybe take a few posts to clear things up :D

mike
unstpabl1

The Captain Salutes You, Mike

Postby Captain America » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:08 pm

Folks, a really well written, logical, non-confrontational, "just the facts, ma'am" and just plain common sense post was written by Mike today at J.P.'s forum... http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/IK ... sage/19362

Mike, you are always welcome to post here, whenever you feel the writing bug nibbling on your cerebral cortex.

I do plan on addressing your wondering about what goes into the odd mentality found on San Soo forums, in a week or two...

I will be finishing up my move from Southern California in a few days. After that it won't take long at all to settle in and spend some time in thought to try and address some aspects of the phenomenon.

Actually, many of the clues have been posted years ago on the old Close Quarters Combat Forum and SSS's The Jimmy H. Woo Memorial Forum so all I will be doing is to take those ideas, and what has happened in the recent landscape at J.P.'s and Tennessee, and just try to find the common psychological thread to tie them together.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if you understand it on a subconscious level and have only been unable to put it into an overt explanation.

Dave, fifth degree black belt, and another black belt of Dave's and a Master and his yellow belt get together about once a week at Roberts mobile home park workout room, when he's in town (yep, he's bottom dwelling, scum sucking trailer trash to the bone!). I know it's a long way from where you live, but maybe once or twice a year, you can join the melee to compare notes and such.

Good Fortune to you, Sir!
Captain America
Site Admin

Postby unstpabl1 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:54 pm

Thanks CA

I appreciate it. I like reading this forum and have really enjoyed the videos. Look forward to the articles

I hope to run in to our mutual friend in the future if this strike ever gets settled. you should see us battle over the martial arts :lol:
unstpabl1

Postby unstpabl1 » Fri May 09, 2008 1:28 am

San Soo Sifu wrote:Hey Mike,
Best of luck to you, whatever you choose to do. I sincerely hope that you find what it is that you're looking for. Again, good luck!

Hey guys. Hope your all doing great. I still read the San Soo forums. I'm always lurking here. :lol:

Just wanted to update you on what I ended up doing. I really spent all this time trying to decide. Money, time, as well as training mentality went into the decision. I just started a couple weeks ago at a friends dojo. We do American Kenpo/Gracie Barra JJ/Escrima. We're having a seminar w/ Felix Valencia tomorrow. He's an old friend and instructor.

Anyway, thought you should know. You guys were great in sharing your art with me and answering my question. I'm really gratefull

Thank you

Mike/ Unstpabl1/actinmike
unstpabl1

Question?

Postby San Soo Sifu » Fri May 09, 2008 1:46 pm

Mike wrote:From: unstpabl1 2/25/2001 7:28 pm
To: ALL [1 of 8]

This seems to me, to be a question, that is difficult to articulate; and has the potential to be misconstrued in a flammable way; which is the total opposite of my intent, so here goes nothing. I stumbled upon this site by accident, and became very interested in Kung-Fu San Soo. I have read everything that I could, watched a few classes, and I think it is great! I love the improvisational feel to it. My only problem is a guy attacks, and the other guy beats him up; meaning that guy A throws a technique, and guy B throws a bunch more, which guy A then reacts to, as if it had the optimum effect. This I understand, but does guy A ever learn to avoid the counters; and how about feints and fakes that guy A may throw? I guess dealing with resistence may be what I am asking about? I am asking this question because I am interested in this art (my background was kick-boxing); and I am trying to make an informed choice. Thank you in advance for your help. Mike
San Soo Sifu

Real Kung-Fu San Soo!

Postby San Soo Sifu » Fri May 09, 2008 1:56 pm

Charles Pope wrote:From: GrandMaste1 2/25/2001 8:30 pm
To: unstpabl1 [2 of 8]
190.2 in reply to 190.1

Real Kung-Fu San Soo is not a sport. The moves, when done right, are devastating, and they should be done in close with one-knuckles to exact targets. Kickboxing is a sport (and a darn rough one). Most of the strikes in Kung-Fu San Soo are fouls in boxing (no gloves, for one). However, I agree with your point about counter-measures. Most people doing Kung-Fu San Soo these days do not fight in a ring, or otherwise; so all they can tell you is what their teacher told them. Most do not even work a heavy bag! You must have a live demonstration, someday, of REAL KUNG-FU SAN SOO! I am sure you would enjoy it. By the way, all boxing and kickboxing is derived from Chinese Kung-Fu, "cleaned up," and adapted for the ring.
San Soo Sifu

...trying to figure it out, for me.

Postby San Soo Sifu » Fri May 09, 2008 2:05 pm

Mike wrote:From: unstpabl1 2/27/2001 12:03 pm
To: GrandMaste1 [3 of 8]
190.3 in reply to 190.2

Thank you for taking the time to help. I totally understand, and agree with what you are saying. I see how San Soo training is teaching you how to react spontaneously, to any type of threat; and due to the nature of techniques, must be practiced with a ton of control and trust. I guess I am just trying to figure out dealing with the non-compliant. Like I said, I am just trying to figure it out, for me.
San Soo Sifu

I do not like the ... "2 and 2"

Postby San Soo Sifu » Fri May 09, 2008 2:10 pm

Dave Lorenson wrote:From: SifuDave 2/28/2001 9:26 am
To: unstpabl1 [4 of 8]
190.4 in reply to 190.3

You may find that in some Kung-Fu San Soo schools, this particular element of preparing for an uncooperative opponent is not in good practice. Kung-Fu San Soo does prepare the students for any situation, if it is taught correctly. There are a few ways to get this done, and not all teachers agree. I do not like the idea that all of the training in Kung-Fu San Soo is this "2 and 2" approach. If this is all you have seen, then this is not complete.
San Soo Sifu

...the Art looks so complete, otherwise.

Postby San Soo Sifu » Fri May 09, 2008 2:18 pm

Mike wrote:From: unstpabl1 2/28/2001 6:59 pm
To: SifuDave [5 of 8]
190.5 in reply to 190.4

Thank you for your response. I did not quite understand what you meant by this "2 and 2" approach. Pretty much what I have seen is the freestyle workout, then a lesson, then more freestyle workout; and a quick form, which I think is great. I am just wondering if I am missing something, because the Art looks so complete, otherwise. Again, Dave Lorenson, I want to thank you for taking the time to help me out.
San Soo Sifu

...check out another school,

Postby San Soo Sifu » Fri May 09, 2008 2:22 pm

Dave Lorenson wrote:From: SifuDave 3/1/2001 7:26 am
To: unstpabl1 [6 of 8]
190.6 in reply to 190.5

By the "2 and 2" approach, I was referring to an accepted method for freestyling; where each partner attacks the other person twice, and the "defender" practices techniques, then they alternate turns. This is not the only method of freestyling, but it is commonly practiced. A student cannot learn all of the elements of Kung-Fu San Soo in rapid succession. It takes time to get through the many facets of the Art. So, it is common for an instructor to teach in stages. It is possible that you are not seeing the entire picture because you may have observed a lower level class, or perhaps a stage of instruction. Believe me, there are plenty of training methods available in Kung-Fu San Soo to take on any confrontation. However, not to insult what you have seen, because I do not know anything about it; I can only say that you may want to check out another school, just to be comfortable with what is taught.
San Soo Sifu

...a person should be comfortable...

Postby San Soo Sifu » Fri May 09, 2008 2:29 pm

Rich Smith wrote:From: San Soo Jedi (sansoojedi) 3/5/2001 7:43 pm
To: SifuDave [7 of 8]
190.7 in reply to 190.6

Too many times you will here people say, "Instructor A sucks," or "Instructor B is teaching Kung-Fu San Soo the wrong way." They say this because they saw that instructor teach one class, ten years before, and did not like (or agree) with what was being taught. My point being is that a person should be comfortable with what is being taught. Anyone interested in training should ask any, and all, questions they can; so, they can be comfortable. They should look around to find what best suites them, even between Kung-Fu San Soo schools; since different instructors, teach differently.
San Soo Sifu

Postby unstpabl1 » Fri May 09, 2008 2:37 pm

Thats funny. Told ya I'd been around awhile. Anyway to delete my full name from those posts please. I'd appreciate that alot for "Operational Security" which I didn't understand back then. Took someone writing me fan letters in crayon during a play, then tracking me down a few weeks later. Not fun to be stalked

I was probably training at Jeff Gellers KFSS at the time. I was use to training at a pretty hardcore KB gym. Peter Sugarfoot Cunningham, Danny Steele, Lily Rodrequez was training Bridgett Rielly. Boxers Hector Lopez and PJ Goossen. Don Wilson from time to time. Was cool cause we were always going to watch someone fight. I've worked out in a lot of systems since then, including restarts in KFSS and Kenpo. Really thought I'd end it in krav but the cost was prohibitive

For the first time since then I'm not looking at other places to train because my instructors understand my mentality and I can contribute.

If you ever get a chance to train with Felix take it. He's a great guy and an excellent instructor. I'm really looking forward to training with him again tonite. Should be a great seminar

Be well Jon
unstpabl1

Postby unstpabl1 » Fri May 09, 2008 2:50 pm

I've only seen KFSS trained by the 2+2 freestyle method at any of the 7 or 8 schools I visited. I rarely would pay attention to anyone under brown belt while watching a class. I'm not interested with where training starts but where it leads to.

In the last few days leading to my decision I reread every San Soo book I own as well as kenpo. They were my last 2 choices. It came down to alot of things not just the arts
unstpabl1

Mike -------------

Postby Captain America » Fri May 09, 2008 6:32 pm

I remember you told me, The Captain, to keep your last name under wraps a while back... so I edited San Soo Sifu's posts of your old posts to remove your last name...

Either he didn't know or he forgot... but he very, very rarely forgets that sort of thing (or anything San Soo, for that matter)...

Sorry about that...

Hope all is going well for ya, mon ami...
Captain America
Site Admin

Postby unstpabl1 » Sat May 10, 2008 12:25 pm

Thank you Captain. I really appreciate it. I've been well. Haven't seen our buddy in a long time. Always like working with him.

Was wondering if there were any kfss vs knife vids floating around on the net. Probably cause I got stabbed so many times by Felix last night
unstpabl1

Return to Miscellaneous