From the Desk of Mike Guerrero

If it's San Soo related, but you don't know where to put it...

Moderator: San Soo Sifu

From the Desk of Mike Guerrero

Postby Captain America » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:22 am

The following is from Mike's Blog...

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-taI1qdAw ... NHA--?cq=1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Entry for September 23, 2007

Personal Observation part I, of .....Youtube Clip on Mr. Woolsey

Mr. Woolsey said, " the larger moves generate powerful striking force for the arms and legs until your in close, then your change to close fighting tactics of knees, elbows, butting, bumping, leverage, and throws."

Mr. Woo told me, " use wide movements to train the body for best form. And use BIG, wide movements when doing demos, so the audience can better appreciate what your doing. You have to keep their interest, otherwise I can't tell them about my Family "Art"......Kung Fu San Soo."

I once saw Mr. Woo correct a student at El Monte. Mr Woo was sitting at his desk watching boxing, I thought, when he stood up and called to the student who had just did a sort of spinning back kick move. He said, " I don't teach you that, where you learn that, a man turn his back on me in combat I break his back, I never take my eyes off my enemy unless I have good reason, because I already hurt him."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike's website is http://wu-gongfu.com/home
Last edited by Captain America on Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain America
Site Admin

More from Mike Guerrero

Postby Captain America » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:25 am

More from Mike Guerrero...

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-taI1qdAw ... NHA--?cq=1

Entry for September 18, 2007

When I asked Mr. Woo , why was it that we only used what I perceived at the time as partial windmills( using only one arm covering), and not the full circular, continuous, rotating hand movements,...... he told me it was because he had adapted the techniques to the way the average person would fight in this country.

Again he emphasized that San Soo was originally created for the battlefield, it was designed to train for the skill of an expert, for fighting multiple enemies, and the body must always be in constant motion to diminish the opportunity for the opponents counterattack. That in San Soo there was no blocking, only the process of offensive covering to move close to the enemy for close range fighting. And there should always be defense/offense in every move, that this is the strategy the windmills could satisfy . He jokingly said the average person threw, what he described as a haymaker punch.

He said the traditional way of using the windmills was not necessary, as the way the average person fought was in an untrained, and unsophisticated manner. But when I ever had to fight a skilled opponent , then, the windmills would prove to be invaluable.
Captain America
Site Admin

March 25 Blog Entry

Postby Captain America » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:32 am

Since Master Mark Colby (realkungfusansoo) posted a couple of Videos of Woolsey and his students on YouTube, Mike Guerrero has posted a couple of comments...

see the blog entries here...

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-taI1qdAw ... ?cq=1&p=72

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-taI1qdAw ... ?cq=1&p=73
Captain America
Site Admin

Letter from Frank Woolsey

Postby San Soo Sifu » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:08 pm

Frank Woolsey wrote:Frank Woolsey
16531 Bolsa Chica Road, Suite 315
Huntington Beach, California 92649

Michael R. Guerrero
12353 East 215th Street
Lakewood, California 90715

February 18, 1991

To whom it may concern:

Mr. Michael R. Guerrero has been trained in the art of self-defense (Kung-Fu San Soo) by myself, personally. Mr. Guerrero holds the rank of Black Belt, and instructor. Mr. Guerrero is considered by myself to be an instructor of the highest proficiency. He has always been known to me, to be a man of the highest morals and integrity.

During my career as Chief Instructor for Frank Woolsey Kung Fu Studios Inc., I have trained, and taught, literally thousands of talented students. In my opinion Mr. Guerrero ranks at the highest level as a Kung-Fu San Soo instructor. Anyone who has been, or will be, taught the art of self-defense by Mr. Michael R. Guerrero should consider Mike to be totally, and completely, qualified. Mr. Guerrero is the right choice for anyone who wishes to learn the art, and discipline, of Kung-Fu San Soo.

Respectfully,
Frank Woolsey
San Soo Sifu

What word comes to mind...?

Postby San Soo Sifu » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:14 pm

Mike Guerrero wrote:March 31, 2008

First, let me give my perspective on a couple thoughts that have been on my mind. Since this is my blog site, and I can take full responsibility for my comments; then I am going to call them, like I see them. We all have the responsibility to pass on Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo's -- Chen family combat system -- without all the drama! If we really want to show respect and honor to Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo's memory; then let us get on with the process in its entirety, to the best of our experiences and gained acumen, and avoid any further petty bickering. We should try to appreciate, and consider, the constructive direction; and views of everyone, to maintain this Arts effectiveness, as set forth by Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo. I believe that should be our focus, as serious practitioners of Kung-Fu San Soo. Let us make the commitment to reach out, and mend the path for others to follow. Please be considerate, and respectful of all those who have passed this way before us; it is the right thing to do!

Mike Guerrero wrote:April 29, 2008

In the process of viewing many of the video clips, and other information of your requests, regarding certain information posted by others; much of this information is wrong. There are certain theories and principles that apply to all of the Chinese combat arts. This is pure fundamentals. I feel very confident in saying that many of these people teaching have never used Kung-Fu San Soo for real. They have not had to be effective against a seasoned street fighter; or a well trained, and conditioned, martial arts fighter. Yet, they continue to take the publics money, and send them out unprepared to face the real threats that exist. Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo states in his interview that the best training a student will receive will be based upon the teachers experience! He would know, because he was the best! No one disputed that fact, in all of the years he was with us; at least not to his face. Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo, Mr. Frank Woolsey, and all of my teachers; gave me what I was promised, and what I paid for -- the correct tools to develop the fighting skills of Kung-Fu San Soo. Yes, I put in the effort it took to become proficient, but it was based upon accurate training principles. Now please do not misunderstand, I do not want your students (though many have asked me). I just want Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo's family fighting system to maintain its thorough effectiveness.

James Scott wrote:How much time did Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo spend emphasizing what his great uncle Chin Siu Hung said, or did; and how no one would ever be that good again? Did Jimmy H. Woo feel that Kung-Fu San Soo was at its peak with himself, with his instructor, or with the Kuan Yin Monastery? From everything that I have heard, the answer is no. He never thought that Kung-Fu San Soo ended with him. If he honestly thought it would be nothing but diluted from here on out ... if any of you really think that, then why do you bother studying it? The only quote of Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo's I have on the subject matter is that, "Kung-Fu San Soo is not one man's idea of what fighting should be." We spend a lot of time talking about how there are instructors out there screwing up Kung-Fu San Soo, and making it look bad by their lack of knowledge. But we cannot sit here, and only look to the past -- we must move forward ... not without Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo; but in his spirit, and the way we think he would have wanted us to. There will always be disagreements. We cannot let them paralyze us, but we must move on the best we can. We cannot worry about those who are not doing it right. When they do something stupid, then we can speak out against it. But we are too focused on who is doing what wrong. There will always be people doing it wrong.
Hit First...Hit Hard...Hit Often...and Finish Him Off!
San Soo Sifu

Return to Miscellaneous